Orthodontics in Charles County, MD
Sequence Orthodontics, with convenient offices in Waldorf and Leonardtown, serving residents of Charles County and St. Mary’s County, Maryland, is known for helping patients of all ages enjoy better oral health and beautiful, healthy smiles.
What Does Orthodontics Treat?Orthodontics is a specialty of dentistry that focuses on treating malocclusions, or teeth that are crooked or misaligned. The goal of orthodontics is to correct the patient’s bite and improve overall oral health. Orthodontists work with patients to effectively correct problems concerning the teeth and jaw. Orthodontics treats the following problems:
- Irregular spacing of teeth – missing teeth or excessive gaps between teeth.
- Crowding – crowding of teeth occurs when there is not enough space in the mouth for the patient’s full dentition. This malocclusion may be corrected by expanding dental arches before permanent teeth erupt, potentially preventing future extractions.
- Underbite – a condition in which the lower jaw extends outward, causing the lower front teeth to settle in front of the upper front teeth when the mouth is closed.
- Overjet – a condition similar to an underbite, except affecting the upper teeth instead of the lower teeth. The upper front teeth extend out over the lower front teeth and settle in front of the lower teeth.
- Crossbite – this condition refers to upper teeth that have settled inside the lower teeth, and may lead to irregular jaw growth and damage to the teeth.
- Overbite – when the upper and lower front teeth overlap excessively in the vertical dimension causing the upper front teeth to close down too far over the lower front teeth. This may also be referred to as a deep bite, and may affect the patient’s ability to chew food properly or cause excessive wear on the lower front teeth.
- Openbite – a condition in which the upper and lower front teeth do not meet, which may affect the patient’s ability to chew food properly
- Protrusion of teeth – a condition in which teeth extend too far forward or not far enough, causing an imbalanced appearance in the mouth.
What are the Benefits of Orthodontics?Many people pursue orthodontic treatment with the simple goal of improving their smile and appearance. While that is among the benefits of orthodontics, the true goal of orthodontic treatment is the improved health and function of your teeth and jaw. Irregularly spaced teeth are more vulnerable to the development of plaque and decay because food particles and bacteria may accumulate in gaps between the teeth, causing future problems. Orthodontic treatment can also improve your ability to chew properly and speak clearly.
Orthodontic Services Offered
- Braces for Adults
- Braces for Kids
- Braces for Teens
- Ceramic Braces
- Lingual Braces
- Metal Braces
- Spacers for Braces
- Colored Braces
- Orthognathic Surgery
- Two-Phase Orthodontics
- Sure Smile®
- Propel Orthodontics
- Six Month Smiles®
- Temporary Anchorage Devices
- iTero® Scanner
We also provide additional information regarding:
Who Is a Candidate for Orthodontic Treatment?Almost anyone over the age of seven with crooked teeth, gaps between teeth, crowding, an overbite or other problems, may be a good candidate for orthodontic care.
What to Expect from Orthodontic TreatmentOrthodontics devices, such as braces or aligners, may initially feel a bit strange in your mouth. If you wear conventional braces, care must be taken when eating and drinking to prevent the wires from irritating the inside of your mouth. Our office provides dental wax and instruction on how to use it to help prevent some of this irritation. Most patients report that over time, eating and talking with braces becomes natural, although it is normal to experience some mild soreness, aching or discomfort during the first few days wearing braces or other devices. Over-the-counter pain relievers normally alleviate any discomfort.
How Much Do Orthodontic Treatments Cost in Charles County and St. Mary’s County, MD?When you choose to undergo orthodontic treatment, you are making an investment in your appearance and oral health and, by extension, in your overall health, since the mouth is the gateway to the body. With proper dental care, your orthodontic treatment can help you enjoy a smile that is both beautiful and healthy. We understand that the costs of orthodontic treatment may be somewhat challenging to manage, and to help defray some of these expenses, we accept a wide range of different dental insurance . You may have to pay out-of-pocket for a portion of your treatment costs, so we also offer in-house financing options as well. We also offer to finance through CareCredit® for people who wish to make payments beyond the treatment time. Our offices also accept cash, checks and major credit cards as forms of payment.
What Should I do Next?
Those who live in Charles County or St. Mary’s County, Maryland and want to learn more about orthodontics are invited to contact Sequence Orthodontics at our Waldorf or Leonardtown offices, where our friendly staff will be happy to assist you.